- Thick Hair Straighter Comparision
- #1. – BIO IONIC Onepass Straightening Iron
- #2. – Karmin G3 Salon Professional Ceramic Flat Iron
- #3. – CHI Original Pro
- #4. – BaBylissPRO Nano
- #5. – HSI Professional Ceramic
- Flat Iron FAQs
- Does Using a Hair Straightener Damage Thick Hair?
- What are Some Beginner Tips on Straightening Thick Hair?
You probably show off your naturally thick, frizzy hair proudly most of the time. But there are occasions when only straight, smooth hair will give you a look you seek. Instead of wearing a wig or struggling to straighten your hair, turn it into shiny, bone-straight tresses with a top rated flat iron for thick hair.
There are so many excellent choices online and at your local beauty supply store. Choosing the best hair straightener for thick hair may be difficult because household names, well-known beauty brands, and new companies offer straighteners for thick hair. Determining which products stand out above the rest is a tall task.
We’ve done much of the work for you and looked at the top straightening irons on the market today. We’ve examined them for features, ease of use, safety, and price.
If you have thick, frizzy hair, here are five of the best flat irons for thick hair in 2017.
Thick Hair Straighter Comparision
|Model||Type||Size||Heat Time||Our Rating|
|BIO Ionic||Heats up almost instantly||Ceramic||1"||30 sec|
|Karmin G3||Great for all hair types||Tourmaline||1"||30 sec|
|CHI Original||Perfect for reducing frizz||Tourmaline||1"||2 min|
#1. – BIO IONIC Onepass Straightening Iron
- Long swivel cord won’t tangle
- Different temperature settings
- Heats up in five seconds
- Some users may feel uncomfortable with the floating plates
- Rubber sliders may fall out
- May take 3-4 passes to work for some users
The BIO IONIC Onepass Straightening Iron’s silicone speed strips help you straighten thick, frizzy hair faster. The name “OnePass” implies that you’ll be able to smooth out hair in one setting. The silicone and ceramic construction make hair pass quickly through the plates without catching.
This top rated flat iron for thick hair in 2017 provides lots of negative ions to give you smoother, silkier hair. It glides smoothly and won’t pull out or burn hair.
The NanoIonic Mineral plates technology hydrates your hair to make to control frizz and flyaways. The long, tangle- free swivel cord lets you move around when you’re straightening your hair. The BIO IONIC’s quick heating allows you to straighten thick, curly hair or coarse hair in 15 to 20 minutes, vs. 30 minutes for more expensive straighteners for thick hair.
#2. – Karmin G3 Salon Professional Ceramic Flat Iron
- Heats in 30 seconds
- Automatic shutoff prevents overheating
- Reduces static electricity
- May take several passes to straighten long hair
- No temperature indicator
- Quality may be sub-standard if bought from unauthorized online sellers
The Karmin G3 Salon Professional Ceramic Flat Iron received glowing reviews from buyers across many of the popular beauty forums. It can be used for all hair types, including coarse, frizzy, curly, fine or color-treated. You can use this straightener every few days to keep thick, frizzy hair smooth. It also adds volume to fine hair or makes straight hair curly.
The negative ions produced by the plates reduce static electricity. You won’t need to worry about flyaways. It keeps your hair smooth even when it is humid.
This straightener for thick hair has an automatic shut-off feature to prevent overheating. You can take this lightweight, travel-sized flat iron for thick hair on the road with you.
#3. – CHI Original Pro
- Far infrared heating
- Eliminates static
- Use to straighten coarse hair or make curls and waves
- Users report a short life-span.
- Only one temperature setting
- Limited warranty
The CHI Original Pro 1” Ceramic Ionic Tourmaline Flat Iron Hair Straightener is considered the best straightener for thick hair by some beauty industry insiders. The plates emit negative ions to give your hair more moisture and shine.
This flat iron uses far infrared heating to help reduce frizz and static.
The CHI Original has one temperature setting. (Its maximum temperature is 392 degrees.) You may want to use another top rated flat iron for thick hair with adjustable settings if you have color-treated hair or damaged hair. This flat iron needs an adapter for use in European countries. It offers a long swivel cord so you can plug it into an outlet on the opposite side of your bedroom or bathroom.
#4. – BaBylissPRO Nano
- Easy to read LED screen
- Better heat conduction
- Extra long, thin plates
- Some users have reported fast plate degradation
- Some users have reported being unsatisfied with the overall quality of the materials
- Users have complained of quality control issues
The Nano Titanium plates make this flat iron for thick hair a superior heat conductor. Use it on wider sections of hair to straighten more at one time for smoother hair in no time.
Take advantage of the extendable 5” plates for faster straightening. This easy-to-maneuver, lightweight straightening iron is speedy enough to eliminate hand fatigue.
The BaBylissPRO has 50 heat settings, with a maximum temperature of 450 degrees. Its heat-proof Ryton construction keeps your hands and arms safe.
This flat iron makes extra-thick hair look thinner. Reviewers write that it takes between five and 10 minutes to straighten thick, coarse hair with the BaBylissPRO Nano Titanium-Plated Ultra-Thin Straightening Iron.
#5. – HSI Professional Ceramic
- Top-selling flat iron for thick hair
- Even heating
- Infrared technology
- Extra thick hair may catch on plates
- No automatic shut-off
- May overheat at random times
The HSI not only straightens hair but flips, curls and volumizes fine hair. It offers adjustable heat levels, from 240 degrees to 400 degrees, for all hair types.
Its one-inch plate width is wide enough for any hair length. You can also use this flat iron on bangs. It has an ergonomically-designed handle for a steadier grip.
If you have fine hair, this hair straightener will hold it firmly without catching. The plates may not hold well if you have long, thick hair. Don’t put too much thick, coarse hair between the plates at one time.
The HSI is more than just a good straightener for thick hair. It comes with argan oil hair conditioner to protect hair. This straightener for thick, coarse hair has a 360-degree swivel cord. It also has a dual voltage suitable for use around the world.
Flat Iron FAQs
How Do You Curl Thick Hair with a Flat Iron?
- Brush your hair before using one of the best flat irons for thick hair. Brushing helps you avoid tangles while curling your hair.
- Gather the top half of your hair into a bun. Secure it with a tie to make sure you can curl all your hair.
- Spray a heat protectant on your hair to avoid damage.
- Put the flat iron close to the roots. Twist hair toward the back of your head.
- Twirl the hair straightener until the end section of your tresses is flipped downward; then pull hair through the iron. Curl the bottom section of your hair.
- Let the rest of your hair down and repeat Steps 1 to 5.
Does Using a Hair Straightener Damage Thick Hair?
The best flat irons for thick hair will give you excellent results when used according to manufacturer’s directions. Always read the manual for the flat iron before using it for the first time.
Use your flat iron on dry hair. If you use a hair straightener on wet hair, it can cause damage. Stop using your flat iron if you hear sizzling or see steam rise from your hair.
What are Some Beginner Tips on Straightening Thick Hair?
- A flat iron needs to be set at a higher temperature if you use it on thick, coarse hair. According to stylist Jeanna Pizzollo interviewed for the article, “How to Use a Hair Straightener” in Teen Vogue, “Coarse hair does need a higher heat.” You should use a lower temperature, between 300-350 degrees if you have fine or color-treated hair.
- Take smaller sections of a quarter or half-inch and put them through the hair straightener for thick hair. Some of the hair may not be flattened if you place one inch or more through the iron. Work with smaller sections to make sure you treat all the thick, coarse hair.
- For better results, use a hair thickening oil before using a flat iron for thick, frizzy hair. Coconut oil is healthy, natural hair oil. It adds a protective layer from the intense heat of the flat iron. Let it absorb completely into your hair. Then use the hair straightener as usual. (Never use a flat iron on damp hair.)
- Hairstylist Matt Fugate, interviewed for the Allure article, says “Not enough people use thermal protectors.” Flat irons, curling irons and blow dryers deplete proteins and oils in your hair. Apply a heat protector before and/or after using a flat iron for thick, natural hair. Heat protectants are available as serums, sprays or oils.